Receive the full benefits of Lab Certified Aloe Vera just as nature intended it. Indulge in products to nourish and moisturize even the most sensitive skin. All with our signature Fresh Aloe scent.
Jade Facial Roller Benefits Go Far Beyond De-Puffing Your Face
Jade rolling has long been a practice in traditional Chinese medicine. The stone is believed to have healing properties and be a sign of power and immortality. Over the last few years, the tool has made its way into beauty stores (and onto Instagram feeds) in the Western world, thanks in large part to its de-puffing abilities. What makes it special is that it’s made from natural jade stone which has both spiritual and physical benefits, and is known for its purifying and detoxifying qualities. And pros say that jade roller benefits include things like lymphatic drainage and improved circulation. Here’s what you need to know.
Jade Roller Benefits
1. Detoxifies and reduces puffiness
Jade rolling is one of the easiest ways to do it at home. Using the tool to massage your face can help reduce some of the fluid buildup, doing away with puffiness. Roll the massager toward your lymph nodes—which are located in your neck, slightly behind your ears—to help stimulate lymph movement.
2. Brightens and firms skin
Jade rollers massage the superficial layer of the skin, and if you pop them in the freezer to cool them down they can calm irritation, tighten pores, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Relaxes facial tension
If you’re a big-time jaw clencher, treating yourself to our DIY jade roller massage can help do away with some of the tension the habit leaves behind. By putting gentle pressure on your face and neck it helps reduce tension. Use the smaller end of the roller to gently massage along your jawline, and you’ll feel an immediate release of whatever stress you’re holding in the area.
4. De-puffs your under eyes
After a long night of crying, drinking, or eating salt, if you ever wind up with your eyes puffy, a simple jade-rolling routine can help. Massaging your face with the smaller end of the tool can help even out some of the fluid, and it will work double-duty if it’s fresh out of the freezer, since cold temperatures help to constrict blood vessels, which helps to prevent the flow of fluid into the tissues.
Sunscreen is an important part of preventative healthcare. But, while we might not think of it when enjoying some time in the ocean, sunscreen can wash off of your skin and into the water where it can affect marine life. Several common ingredients in sunscreens like oxybenzone and octinoxate have been shown to disrupt and bleach coral reefs.
So if you’re planning on taking a dip, you might want to consider using a sunscreen that doesn’t contain ingredients that are harmful to the environment. We have plenty of sunscreens available that are specially formulated to be reef safe while still protecting you from the harmful rays of the sun.
What are the benefits?
If you’re someone who’s been using sunscreen without much thought about ingredients, you might be wondering why you should make an effort to find and use environmentally friendly brands.
Well, the biggest benefit is that you’re playing a small part in saving the delicate ecosystem that houses coral reefs. While the task of saving the oceans is far too big for any one person to tackle, a lot of people making small changes can make a serious impact.
Coral reefs around the world are dying at a rapid rate – studies have shown that about half of the coral in the Great Barrier Reef died over a two-year period between 2016 to 2018. And while there are many factors contributing to this, water pollution is one of the main causes.
Even if you don’t plan on swimming in the ocean, you should still consider picking out a reef safe sunscreen the next time you make a purchase. When you wash it off at the end of the day in a sink or in the shower, the residue can still make its way into the water and affect marine life there.
Summertime means sun, beach, and lots of play outdoors with your dog or cat (did you know that adventurous cats is a growing trend?). Summer can be a great time to bond with your pet. But higher temperatures also mean higher risks for our furry companions – more injuries, more skin and ear infections, and a possibility of a heat stroke.
- Provide plenty of water and shade. Dehydration in dogs and cats is a real possibility during the summer. Keep your pet in the shade as often as possible. While dogs and cats like to sunbathe, direct sunlight can overheat them (especially dogs) and lead to heat stroke.
- Don’t shave your pet. Feel free to trim the fur on your pet in the summer, but never shave. Be sure to leave at least a full inch of hair to protect your pet’s skin from sunburns. And don’t forget about your pet’s regular grooming schedule, no matter what season it is.
- Keep parasites off. In summer, fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and other parasites are practically everywhere. They carry tapeworms, heartworms, and diseases such as Lyme or Bartonella that can put your pet at risk. Ask your vet for the appropriate medical prescriptions to keep your Fido or Kitty pest-free.
- Consider a life vest. If you decide to take your doggy or kitty sailing or boating, be sure it wears a life vest in a bright color to stay visible and afloat in case of an accident. Always keep an eye on your furry companion when near water.
- Respect the heat. Humans aren’t the only animals that can find a hot summer day overwhelming. But unlike you, your pet has a limited ability to deal with the heat. Dogs release heat through their paw pads and by panting, while humans can sweat through all of the skin on their body. Dehydration can be a big problem for pets during the hot weather, too. According to the ASPCA, animals with flat faces – like Pugs and Persian cats – cannot pant as effectively, and are therefore more susceptible to heat stroke. You should also keep an eye on elderly or overweight pets or animals with heart and lung disease. In the summer, make certain that Fido and Fluffy always have access to plenty of fresh, cool water, and avoid letting them run around outside during the hottest parts of the day.
- Keep bugs away—safely. Another summer pet safety issue is the presence of ticks and other summer insects. Not only can bugs carry diseases, but the ways people try to ward them off can also cause problems for your outdoor pet’s health. Fertilizers and pesticides may help keep a lawn looking great, but they can be very dangerous for your pet. In the areas where your pets play, it’s better to keep the grass cut short to reduce the presence of ticks and other insects. Also keep an eye out for fertilizer warnings on neighbors’ lawns when walking your dog. Talk to your veterinarian about the best ways to protect your pet from fleas, ticks, and other insects that are more prevalent during the summer months.
- Beware of antifreeze. In the summertime, antifreeze can leak out of cars when they overheat, leaving puddles on the ground that your dog can easily lap up and swallow. The sweet taste of antifreeze is tempting to dogs and cats, but when this toxic substance is ingested, it’s potentially lethal. Pay attention to your neighbors’ cars and puddles on your street, and make sure your pets stay clear of it.
- Find out if your pet needs sunscreen. Some pets, particularly those with short fine hair and pink skin, can be susceptible to sunburn. Talk to your veterinarian about which types of sunscreen are safest on your pet’s skin, and follow up by routinely applying sunscreen as part of your summer routine. Do not use sunscreen or insect repellents that are not designed specifically for use on animals. The ASPCA says ingesting certain sunscreens can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy in pets.
- Practice water safety. As with other aspects of summer pet care, water safety is all about thinking ahead. Although it’s fun to bring your pet to the beach or pool to stay cool together, always keep a close eye on your pet when they’re in or near the water. Even a strong swimmer could have trouble getting out of a pool, or get trapped by ropes and other obstacles. For more risky summer adventures with your dog, like boating, look into a doggie life preserver. It could prove to be an excellent investment for his safety.
When it comes to preventing the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19, nothing beats good old-fashioned hand washing.
But if water and soap aren’t available, your next best option, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is to use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
All it takes is two ingredients (three if you want to add essential oils for a scented sanitizer) to make your own hand sanitizer at home.
What ingredients do you need?
Making your own hand sanitizer is easy to do and only requires a few ingredients:
- Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99 percent alcohol volume)
- Aloe vera gel like Aloe Max 100
- Option: Essential Oils
The key to making an effective, germ-busting hand sanitizer is to stick to a 2:1 proportion of alcohol to aloe vera. This keeps the alcohol content around 60 percent. This is the minimum amount needed to kill most germs, according to the CDC
Hand sanitizer Recipe:
- 2 parts isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99 percent)
- 1 parts aloe vera gel (to help keep your hands smooth and to counteract the harshness of alcohol) Aloe Max 100
- Option: 10 drops of essential oil
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl, ideally one with a pouring spout like a glass measuring container.
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- Pour the ingredients into an empty bottle for easy use, and label it “hand sanitizer.”
Hand sanitizer is a handy on-the-go way to help prevent the spread of germs when soap and water isn’t available. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can help keep you safe and reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus.
If you’re active on social media, we’re sure you’ve seen people talking about self-care. Influencers everywhere are posting photos of themselves traveling or at the spa with the hashtag #selfcare. It’s super trendy. But what does self-care even mean?
For us, self-care is all about taking time out of your day to focus on things that contribute to your happiness and wellbeing. It’s not something you do one time and considers it a done deal, it’s the continuous effort to make sure your needs are taken care of. You do not need a huge, international vacation to practice self-care. The simplest things like walking your dog could be considered self-care.
We’re making self-care a priority in 2019 and want you to join us on our journey.
We’ve compiled a list of 31 activities (in no particular order) you can do in January that will jumpstart 2019 and set you up to have an amazing year.
This is an on-going series we plan to regularly post about on our blog and on our Instagram. Make sure to check back every month to get your updated list and let us know how your journey is going.
- Create a vision board with your goals for 2019
- Start Journaling
- Clean out & organize your closet
- Wake up 20 minutes earlier
- Make your bed every morning
- Drink fruit infused water
- Make a happiness list
- Go for a daily walk
- Try yoga
- Apply sunscreen every day
- Clean out your skincare collection
- Strike a power pose
- Read a book, magazine or your favorite blog
- Compliment yourself
- Subscribe to a podcast
- Try a new recipe
- Watch a TED Talk
- Set an intention for your day, every day
- Enjoy a sunset
- Visit a local market
- Skip the coffee, drink tea
- Spend time outdoors
- Meditate 5-10 minutes daily
- Unplug at a decent hour
- Compliment 3 people
- Take yourself out on a date
- Try a new restaurant
- Focus on breathing
- Have a dance party
- Use a face mask
Let us know in the comments below or on Instagram if you’re participating in our monthly challenge. Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter and follow Key West Aloe and join the conversation on Facebook and Instagram.
You May Also Like
We want to put a 2018 spin on this and change the phrase to “Long Hair, Because We Care” because long, healthy hair doesn’t happen by accident. It takes time and attention to develop luscious hair like your favorite celebrity. With these 7 Tips, we can help you get Instagram worthy hair.
A clean, healthy scalp makes for healthy hair. When washing your hair, make sure to focus the cleansing shampoo on your scalp then let the shampoo wash over the rest of your hair. We also like to spend some extra time massaging the scalp with our fingertips. This massage is a great stress reliever and will encourage hair growth.
Try conditioner first
Pick up a shampoo bottle and read the instructions, we can almost guarantee it says “Shampoo then conditioner.” Today, we say forget those instructions, including ours, and condition your hair before shampooing. Even the most moisturizing shampoos can strip your hair of necessary oils, by using conditioner first you give your hair an extra boost of moisture so when you’re shampooing you are still left with some softness.
Finish with a shot of cold
Warm showers are nice. The heat can relax your muscles and make your skin feel soft. It can also be doing more harm to your hair than good. Warm water opens up the hair cuticle making it easier for moisture to escape resulting in dry, brittle hair. So if you can, avoid hot water when washing your hair. Does this mean you always have to take cold showers when washing your hair? No, when you’re one with your entire routine, spend a few minutes under a cool steam. This will close your cuticles, making it easier for your hair to maintain moisture while reducing the chance of split ends.
Don’t be afraid of a few snips
One thing we’ve noticed is people who are trying to grow their hair always brag about how long it’s been since their last cut. But why? A regular trim is the best way to grow your hair. Getting rid of and preventing split ends will mean your hair can grow longer, faster.
Not all products are created equal
Like your skin, there are different types of hair. Some people have fine straight hair and others have thick curly hair. The most important thing you can do on your healthy hair journey is figuring out what type of hair you have and what products and ingredients work best for your hair. On a basic level, Aloe Vera is perfect for almost every hair type because it’s super nourishing and help strengthen your hair but it may not be enough. Maybe you need a product with extra protein or maybe you need a different textured product. You won’t know until you try so we suggest experimenting with your hair products.
Pro Tip: We like to do a mud mask treatment on our hair to help draw out impurities and moisturize the hair. Believe it or not, we use our Marine Mud Mask for this treatment.
We’re sure we don’t have to tell you how damaging heat can be for your hair. The high temperatures make your hair look good after styling but underneath you’re just hurting your hair. Do yourself a favor and ditch the hot tools. If, for whatever reason, you can’t, make sure to use a heat protectant and a leave-in conditioner to help add moisture back into your abused hair shaft.
It doesn’t matter how much work you put into your hair on the outside if you’re not taking care of your hair from the inside. Make sure to eat the right food and stay hydrated to promote healthy hair growth. Snacks like eggs, sweet potatoes, avocados, and almonds can put you on the right path to healthy hair. A multi-purpose vitamin couldn’t hurt either.
It’s time to say goodbye to dry, brittle hair and say hello to healthy locks. Start with these tips and create a healthy hair routine that fits your needs. Then, share with us in the comments below your #1 hair tip – we’re always happy to learn new tricks.
Mom upside down is wow. We’d like to think this was by design because mother’s wow us every day, they’re truly amazing.
Your mom taught you everything you needed to be a responsible adult, from how to tie your shoes to how to how to make and stick to a budget. Mom’s are amazing and should be celebrated every day, especially on Mother’s Day. Now, she may say your love and company is the only gift she needs but we all know she deserves so much more.
Here are a few Mother’s Day gift ideas that will make your mom say “wow!”
Pamper Her Key West Aloe
Mom’s are always busy and sometimes skip self-care in an effort to take care of everyone around her. Remind her that she matters by treating her to a Key West Aloe gift baskets full of Aloe Vera based skin care product that can be used head to toe. A few of our favorites include All About Key Lime & Aloethera For You.
Brighten up her day with Flowers
Flowers are gorgeous and smell really nice. The only downside is they can be expensive and don’t always last very long (our mother’s lack a green thumb). Instead, you should make some paper flowers in her favorite color. These flowers are beautiful and last a lifetime. You can find some great DIY articles on Pinterest or you can purchase some kits from Paper Source.
Feed Her Guilty Pleasure
Like we’ve already said, Mother’s make a few sacrifices for the well-being of their family. Getting her a monthly subscription box of her guilty pleasure will surely put a smile on her face. Plus, it’s literally the gift that keeps on giving. If she likes wine, there’s a subscription box for that. Like clothes but is too busy to shop, theirs a box for that too. Liz from My Subscription Addiction has a list of 22 boxes perfect for moms.
Make Her Smile with a Personalize Canvas Print
I don’t know about your mom, but our mother’s love taking and displaying photos. She has albums and albums of us kids in a closet at the house. For mother’s day, we’re gifting her a canvas with a collage of her favorite photos. You should consider doing something like this for your mom. Shutterfly and Minted have some great options.
You Can Never Go Wrong with a Gift Card
If you’re still out of ideas, maybe you’ve already got her everything you could think of, consider getting her a gift card to her favorite store (if it’s Key West Aloe, we’ve got you covered). Some people consider this impersonal, we like to think of it as a two for one gift. The first gift is the gift card, the second gift if the promise of a joint shopping spree at her favorite store. What more could she ask for!
These are just a few of our gift ideas. If you have any suggestions, leave a comment below or join the conversation on Facebook or Instagram. And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to get more tips and tricks.
You May Also Like…