January 4, 2018 10 view(s)
Photo: Flickr - CayoboToday is National Trivia Day. In celebration of this great day, we've compiled a list of fun Key West facts that will make you fall even more in love with the Conch Republic!
- Duval Street is 1.1 miles long.
- Cayo Hueso is the original Spanish name for Key West. It means Bone Island and refers to the many bones found on the island.
- Key West is closer to Havana Cuba then it is to Miami.
- Many famous people called Key West Home (at least temporarily) including Judy Blume, Jimmy Buffett, Ernest Hemingway, President Harry S. Truman, Tennessee Willams and Calvin Klein.
- There are 42 bridges that connect Key West to mainland Florida.
- The 7-Mile Bridge is actually 6.79 miles long.
- Key West is home to one of the best Halloween Celebrations in the World! - Fantasy Fest (we may be a little bias).
- Key West seceded from the US in 1982. Long live the Conch Republic!
- Many Key West residents refer to themselves as Conchs.
- Pan American World Airways, aka Pan Am, was founded in Key West in 1927.
- The Southernmost Buoy is the most photographed attraction in Key West.
- The third largest coral reef in the world is off the coast of Key West.
- US Highway 1 starts and ends in Key West.
- There are more bars per capita in Key West than anywhere else in the US.
- Also, there are more churches per capita in Key West than anywhere else in the US.
- There are three Civil War forts located on Key West.
- Key West was sold to a businessman John Simonton for $2,000.
- Most of the sand on Key West's beaches had to be brought over from the Caribbean.
- Cuba is actually 94 miles away from Key West, not 90.
- Key West Aloe was started in Key West in 1971.